Vision, mission, objectives and strategy
XPRES will establish an internationally competitive platform for production research to meet future challenges of world leading Swedish industry.
The vision of XPRES is to be an excellent and internationally recognized research and education environment within advanced production, being among the top five in Europe. This environment creates lasting value for Swedish world-leading manufacturing industry and society.
The mission of the Initiative for excellence in production research is to conduct production research that:
- is of the highest international quality,
- contributes towards fulfilling major needs and solving important problems in society,
- contributes to areas with connection to the Swedish industrial sector.
This joint initiative to develop an excellent research and education environment within advanced production has four specific objectives:
- Create a base for excellence in production research enabling radical steps forward and renewal within production research as well as strengthening strong research areas at KTH, MDH and Swerea.
- Enable enhanced knowledge co-production between academia, research institutes and industry through the application of new, enhanced processes and infrastructures.
- Provide an efficient education and research environment within the manufacturing engineering area. Greater focus and concentration of research activities between the partners will lead to the ability to provide width and depth in research education, a long-term coordination of education curricula, and an increased exchange between the partners within basic education.
- Build a base for increased internationalization of the research activities within manufacturing engineering by sharing links, results, and synergies within selected areas such that the international community may be strengthened with a structured international exchange of students and researchers.
In order to fulfil the vision of being ‘an excellent research and education environment within advanced production, thus creating lasting value for Swedish world-leading manufacturing industry and society’ and fulfilling the objectives, the XPRES initiative relies on a set of four actions:
- Forming a strong and complementary consortium.
- Creating cross-organizational and cross-disciplinary focus areas.
- Developing an enabling organizational structure.
- Building a structure for international collaboration.